Undergraduate FAQs


  • What courses do you offer in Hinduism, Buddhism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, etc?

For a current list of courses being offered this semester, and in the coming semester, visit the schedule of classes page: For general information on what courses the department offers, please refer to the University Bulletin.

  • What courses are being offered this semester? Next semester?

By reviewing the University Bulletin and Schedule of Classes, you can get a fair idea about what kinds of courses we offer.

  • Do you offer "theology" courses?

While our department does offer a few courses in religious theory, most of our courses are designed to teach the cultural and historical aspects of world religions.

Course Approvals/Transfer Credit

  • I need to be signed into a Religion course. Who should I speak with?

You will need to speak with the professor of the course for her/his signature and permission to enter the class (if necessary).

  • A Religion course I want to take is listed as "Closed" or full, but I'm very interested in taking the course. Can I be signed in to the class?

It depends. If there are available seats and the professor is willing to accept more students than you may be able to. However, if the professor is willing to let additional students into the class or if the room capacity has been reached then your best option is to try to web register if someone else drops. (In the case of room capacity, it is University Policy that you may not admit more students than there are chairs in the class, and therefore our department tries to avoid signing in many students under the "assumption" that others will drop.)

  • I'm going home this summer and want to take a Religion course for GW credit. How do I get transfer credit approved?

If you are taking a Religion course at another university that you want to count for GW credit, you have to have the course approved for transfer credit. In order to be approved, the course will have to resemble the corresponding course description from our own department. You will need to bring the transfer form, course description, and if necessary a description of the college or university to the chair of our department for approval (or if you are not on campus the information can be faxed). It is possible to go through the process retroactively, after you have already taken the course, though this is not the preferred method.

  • I'm studying abroad next semester and will be taking religion courses. Can this be approved for GW credit?

Credit for Religion courses taken while studying abroad may be transferable. The process is the same as for transfer credit. (See above).


  • When are the professors free to meet with students? I want to make an appointment with my professor, how do I contact him/her?

All faculty and instructors in our department arrange their own appointments. Please note that while many of the full-time faculty have office hours, instructors (part-time faculty) frequently do not have designated office hours, but are free to meet with students by appointment.

  • I need a professor's e-mail address/phone number so I can contact him/her.

All the professors' available contact information can be found on the faculty page.

  • Where is the department located?

2106 G Street NW. More specifically, it's a terracotta-colored townhouse near the corner of 21st and G, behind Strong Hall, across from Monroe Hall.

  • Where is the main office located in the department?

Room 102 is the main office. As you enter the building it is the wide open door on your left.

  • Where are the professors' mailboxes located?

Immediately to your right as you enter the department.

Majoring and Minoring in Religion

  • I'm interested in being a Religion Major, how do I apply?

Follow the application process for the Columbian College of Arts and Sciences. After you begin you may declare your major by following the process explained below.

  • How do I declare a Religion Major? Who do I need to meet with?

After speaking with your advisor, you will need a form for declaring your major, (available in Oxborough Student Services, Phillips 107). Bring the form to the department chair, Professor Hiltebeitel. Together you will discuss and plan your academic study in religion.

  • What are the available concentrations for a religion major?

The concentrations are based on the courses offered. Currently, Judaism, Christianity, Buddhism, Islam, and Hinduism are possible. Or you may choose to create a combined concentration, such as "East Asian Religions."

  • What can you do with a Religion Major?

Some of our students continue their studies in either by attending divinity school or pursing a masters in religion. Others have chosen to attend law school, medical school or non-profit work.